Sunday, July 18, 2010

Raspberry, Current and Saskatoon Jam ~ preserving summer

We’ve been gorging on raspberries from our yard for the last couple of weeks and realized that we actually have enough to make jam.

While I was picking the raspberries, I noticed that we had currents (I really wasn't expecting any of these this year!), so I thought I would add some of those into the jam as well .

Our fresh box from F.O.O.D arrived with a container of saskatoons – one of my favorite summer berries! On Friday we headed out to Gimli, MB, and had the most wonderful saskatoon milkshakes. I was thinking about doing an encore of them at home, but decided that we would appreciate them more in the winter, so into the jam they went.

Raspberry, Current and Saskatoon Jam
makes 6 125ml jars

Ingredients

4 cups mixed berries
1.5 cups organic cane sugar
3/4 cup agave syrup
1 tbs pectin*

Method

1. mix the berries, sugar and agave together and let sit 1 hour
2. prepare your canning jars, lids and rings
3. boil the berry, sugar and agave mixture for 45 minutes
4. add 1 tbs pectin and boil for another 10 minutes
5. pour jam into your sterilized jars (leaving some head room) and processes in a hot water bath for 10 minutes

*I used pectin in this jam because agave doesn't set up the way sugar does, you could always omit it and have a runnier jam.

Sebastian enjoying the saskatoon milkshake

xoxo S.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails