Monday, February 21, 2011

Red lentil soup using homemade bouillon

About 6 weeks ago, maybe longer, I made my very first batch of homemade vegetable bouillon. The recipe that I used was inspired by the one found on 101 Cookbooks.

The only change that I made to the recipe was that I did not add any fennel (bleh) and did add in a handful of green onions – my favorite . I felt that making the bouillon was actually a lot of work, but totally worth it in the end. Once you’ve got it you can add it to all sorts of things like eggs, rice, pasta and of course, soup!

This morning I made a batch of red lentil soup using my homemade bouillon. This soup isn't anything new for us; ive made it a bazillion times with it always turning out. It doesn’t require much work and is quick to make. Did I mention that its delicious as well?!

Red Lentil Soup

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger or galangal
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups red lentils – you could use yellow lentils if you like
1 can coconut milk
juice of 3 limes
1 teaspoon crushed chili in oil or any other chili will work
6 cups water
3 tablespoons homemade bouillon (recipe can be found here)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
salt and pepper

Method


1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sweat the onions, garlic and ginger until soft


2. Add the cumin, coriander, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste and the lentils and cook for 3 minutes.

3. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, red chilies, water, bouillon and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or  until the lentils are very soft. You may want to thin your soup out with some water/broth.

I just want to mention that those little brown bits in the soup are actually part of the red lentils we buy, not some random gross objects that made their way into the soup!

Enjoy!

xoxo S.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails